About Me

My photo
Native Austinite. Well educated.. always learning in my own way. Strong-willed & opinionated. I believe in making a difference. I believe in making myself a better person.. in my own eyes, not the eyes of society.
Mainstream society, and the social mores it professes to hold as "normal," "average," etc. are all hogwash as far as I'm concerned. I am very much a "trail blazer" and I live my life that way.

If you want to know more.. ask me :)

to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting. - e.e. cummings

13 July 2013

Unsung Heroes ...

"The staff of our incredible coalition partners — Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, Annie’s List and The Lilith Fund for Reproductive Equity – were the unsung heroes of the incredible mobilization of Texas men and women over the past month. We have been proud to stand with them and with the women of Texas."

Heroes? I'm glad they exist to provide services, push for appropriate legislation, enable grand-scale PR. "Unsung" hereos? No.

The "unsung heroes" are those sitting in Travis Co jail, those on-site (outside) at TravCo jail, those who risked arrest/injury (job? other?) because they made themselves heard in/outside the state capitol building. Those who shared stories via testimony, news reports, social media, etc. Last, certainly not least, those who support them, whether online or off.

THEY are the *true* UNSUNG HEREOS!!



Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, in a sneering email to his supporters late last night, boasted about the state Senate’s passage of legislation that puts government between pregnant women and their doctors. This supposedly “small-government conservative” proudly declared that the Senate passed the bill“within earshot of a roaring mob” — meaning the thousands of concerned women and men who filled the Capitol and the steps outside."

No comments:

Post a Comment