About Me

My photo
Native Austinite. Well educated.. always learning in my own way. Strong-willed & opinionated. I believe in making a difference. I believe in making myself a better person.. in my own eyes, not the eyes of society.
Mainstream society, and the social mores it professes to hold as "normal," "average," etc. are all hogwash as far as I'm concerned. I am very much a "trail blazer" and I live my life that way.

If you want to know more.. ask me :)

to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting. - e.e. cummings

15 July 2013

Open Letter to Daily Kos


I received a forwarded email from Carl. The message was a Daily Kos appeal to sign a petition.

With good reason I refused. Here's why:
______________________


To: Chris Bowers, Daily Kos <campaigns@dailykos.com>
Subj: Fwd: Texas tampon massacre

I read the email message below. I read the petition.
I totally, wholeheartedly agree person(s) responsible must be held accountable.

Unfortunately, due to final clause ("We demand a complete and open investigation as to who authorized this move, who is accountable for such conduct-and that all such parties be appropriately disciplined."), I will not sign the petition.

I will not sign it because it implies lack of knowledge. On the surface it "reads" as if Daily Kos didn't do its research. It is already well known Lt Gov David Dewhurst is responsible for the atrocity - it was made known Friday, in the middle of the mayhem. Dewhurst is the #1 person responsible for making said directive. Steve McCraw, DPS Director and others also need to be held accountable for acting on Dewhurst's misogynistic directive.

McCraw and others in DPS also need to be held accountable for the violent mistreatment of peaceful protesters. At least one had to seek services at Brackenridge.

Finally, I could be wrong, but based on the way it's written, demand for investigation appears to be addressed to: AG Greg Abbott, Lt Gov David Dewhurst, DPS Director Steve McCraw, DPS Highway Patrol Asst Chief Luis Gonzalez, and members of the Texas Lege. That's like asking a gang of bullies to discipline itself!

Investigation of public office holders is handled by the Travis County Public Integrity Unit - the very same defunded by Gov Perry. Travis County's PIU investigates "... public corruption, insurance fraud, and motor fuels tax fraud."


Rewrite the petition ...

Rewrite it addressing the correct investigative entity.
Rewrite it detailing who IS responsible for the directive, those carrying it out, etc.

Rewrite the petition and we'll talk.



Monica Guzman, M.A.
Community Relations Consultant
LULAC, Dist VII
_______________________________________________
to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting. - e.e. cummings


NOTE: Email bounced when I sent it. Checked website for an email address-none found, only a "Contact Us" webform. Pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment