About Me

My photo
Native Austinite. Well educated.. always learning in my own way. Strong-willed & opinionated. I believe in making a difference. I believe in making myself a better person.. in my own eyes, not the eyes of society.
Mainstream society, and the social mores it professes to hold as "normal," "average," etc. are all hogwash as far as I'm concerned. I am very much a "trail blazer" and I live my life that way.

If you want to know more.. ask me :)

to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting. - e.e. cummings

09 July 2013

At the Texas State Capitol: Testifying against SB1

In Capitol Extension,
waiting for office to open, so can sign up.



In line at north entrance to State Capitol wStacey Smith!
Arrived about 6:15ish (AM)




Testifying Against SB1

All this activity over Senate Bill 1 (SB1) - SB1 has been propagandized as a bill to protect/improve women's health. That's far from the truth! It's all about oppressing women, especially women of color and women surviving in impoverished conditions.


Testifying (around 6/6:15pm)



I am Monica Guzmán - Native Austinite residing in East Austin. I am represented by Sen Judith Zaffirini and Rep Eddie Rodrigruez.

I am PRO-WOMEN & PRO-WOMEN'S HEALTHCARE.


I oppose SB1 because I believe SB1 and its House companion are regarding anything BUT improving or protecting my or any other woman's health.

It is bullying from legislative pulpits.

It is an attempt to force-feed religious belief in violation of my Constitutional rights.

It is classist, racist, bigoted, misogynistic legislative OPPRESSION - n o t h i n g less.


SB1 & its House companion will deprive many women-especially women existing at/near poverty levels, women of color-of needed healthcare options.

Should this bill become law ...
  • How many women will lack access to birth control information and available options?
  • How many women will lack access to prenatal care?

Are you prepared to provide financial support and transportation for needed healthcare or even abortions no longer available because you closed existing facilities?

Are you prepared to provide financial support for unwanted pregnancies carried to term yet given up for adoption, left at churches & fire stations, or tragically abandoned on the streets?

As for unwanted pregnancies resulting in cherished newborns ... Are you prepared to support them? Support them with needed healthcare, food availability, safe homes, and public educations?

You go on about protecting the innocent unborn. Yet, once born, you have no qualms abandoning the very same children-especially children born into impoverished conditions-by way of budget cuts to healthcare, social programs, and public education.

As for children already living at/near poverty ... You left them at the curb long ago as dust settled on legislative budget cuts and the ink dried on Gov Perry's signature for same.

Be it corporations or politicians, you make decisions inevitably creating the very conditions you purport to abhor, only serving to further marginalize an already marginalized population.

How is it Gov Perry can say, and I quote, "Our views is that individuals and families can govern their lives better than bureaucrats." yet has the audacity to DICTATE my health, my body.

It is sheer HYPOCRISY!


On a personal note - In 1987 I was raped, fortunately I never had to face a resulting pregnancy, never had to make the decision to carry or terminate. Any woman facing such decision, regardless the reason for pregnancy, it is HER decision. Not mine, certainly not yours.


I expect you to NOT support, NOT pass SB1.


After all ...

MY life, MY body, MY decision


Getting some downtime at home while chillin' and CELEBRATING a job well done, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

3 comments: